The stallion’s official NRHA Offspring Earnings are $6,022,000
Earlier this year, Smart Chic Olena sadly passed; but, his legacy lives on through his progeny as they helped him earn a new milestone – National Reining Horse Association’s (NRHA) third Six Million Dollar Sire. Whether in Reining, cutting or cow horse, Smart Chic Olena has been a known name in the show pen with proven success passed onto his offspring. The stallion’s official NRHA Offspring Earnings are $6,022,000.
This achievement was accomplished during the 2012 NRHA Futurity when Shiners Chic (owned by NRHA Million Dollar Owner Rosanne Sternberg) became the $100,000-added NRHA Open World Championship Shootout Co-Champion ridden by NRHA Three Million Dollar Rider Andrea Fappani. NRHA Futurity Level 3 Open finalist Millionchic (ridden by Trevor Dare and owned by NRHA Million Dollar Rider Rocky Dare) and NRHA Futurity Level 4 Non Pro finalist Shesa Kachina Chic (ridden by Samantha Griffin and owned by NRHA Million Dollar Owner Lance Griffin) were also contributors earning a combined total of over $38,000 to close the gab to becoming a Six Million Dollar Sire. The 1985 stallion was the 1993 Open Reserve World Champion under NRHA Million Dollar Rider Craig Johnson. The 2004 NRHA Hall of Fame inductee was owned by Jim Babcock of Valley View, Tex and is also a National Reined Cow Horse Million Dollar Sire.
In American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA) competition, Smart Chic Olena was the only horse in history to earned world championships in Senior Reining and Cutting. Smart Chic Olena’s top earning offspring include:
* Smart Spook (out of Sugarplum Spook by Grays Starlight): $403,200 NRHA LTE, owned by NRHA Million Dollar Owner Rosanne Sternberg. 2004 NRHA Futurity Open Champion, 2005 NRHA Derby Open Champion, three-time FEI World Reining Masters Champion and 2012 NRHA Million Dollar Sire.
* Shiners Chic (out of Ebony Shines by Shining Spark): $212,500 NRHA LTE, owned by NRHA Million Dollar Owner Rosanne Sternberg. 2008 NRHA Futurity Open finalist and Open Gelding Futurity Champion, 2010 NRHA Derby Open division finalist and 2012 NRHA Open World Champion Shootout Co-Champion.
* Shine Chic Shine (out of Ebony Shine by Shining Spark): $148,700 NRHA LTE, owned by Amabile & Strusiner. 2010 NRHA Futurity Open finalist, National Reining Breeders Classic (NRBC) Level 4 Open Champion and 2011 NRHA Derby Open Reserve Champion.
* Smartest Chic Olena (out of Colonels Dove by Colonel Spats): $129,100 NRHA LTE, owned by Terry Owens. 2001 NRBC Derby Open Champion, Intervet/USET Reining All Star Champion and USEF Festival of Champions Reining Champion.
* Commandalena (out of Givenchy Command by Fritz Command): $112,700 NRHA LTE, owned by Judy Clark. 1998 NRHA Derby Non Pro finalist, 2003 AQHA Senior Reining World Champion and 2005 USEF Fiesta in the Park Reserve Champion.
Smart Chic Olena has sired three NRHA Million Dollar Sires including Magnum Chic Dream (2010), Rowdy Yankee (2011) and Smart Spook (2012). Incorporated in 1966, the National Reining Horse Association is the standard-setting body for the sport of Reining. NRHA, with their International Headquarters in Oklahoma City, is responsible for promoting the sport of Reining and working to ensure the highest standards of competition. To learn more about the NRHA, its programs and family of corporate partners, visit www.nrha.com.
Photo Credit: John Brasseaux Media